08 July 2012

Pie #2: No Power Pie (Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Pie)

Looking ahead to a possible full week without power due to storm damage, I started to get a bit nervous about keeping on schedule with my pie challenge.  While I don't ALWAYS meet my goals, completing just 1.92% of my goal before faltering didn't thrill me.  Thus, I scoured my recipe books for a tasty idea that would not require electricity.  Thankfully our power was only out for around 77 hours, rather than the 7 days as projected.  Thus, I did cheat with my hand mixer for the cheesecake layer...however I could have created this week's masterpiece with my whisk, gas stove, and matches alone.

The concept for this week's pie came from Perry's aunt Suz and a family friend Susan Roth.



%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%


Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Pie

Ingredients:
1 graham cracker pie crust (10-inches)

cheesecake filling:
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 (8 oz) Cool Whip
3/8 cup fresh lemon juice
2 t. lemon zest (from the lemons mentioned above)
1/4 powdered sugar

blueberry topping:
3 c blueberries, fresh or frozen
3/4 cup sugar
2 T. butter
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. lemon zest (from the lemons mentioned above)
1 T. cornstarch

Pie Algorithm:
1. Cheesecake filling: Cream together all cheesecake filling items.  Pour into crust.  Chill for several hours.

2. Blueberry topping: Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium-high heat.  Bring to simmer and cook berries down, about 4 minutes.  Let cool; refrigerate until cold.  Pour over pie when ready to serve.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

This week I have two special pie guests:

Peer Reviewer, Wanda Stopher

Pie Displayer, Kirsten Stopher



Wanda enjoys writing concise reviews (50 words or less); you may find some of her previous work here: http://myportraits-stopher.blogspot.com/  She had the following to say about No Power Pie:

In fifty words or less, this No Power Pie packs a really mighty, powerful punch.  The tangy lemon cream and blueberry glaze combo is cool and creamy and light and oh so refreshing!  The initial hint of blueberry is followed by a just slightly stronger lemony zest.  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment