08 December 2012

Pie #24: Operations Research Pie (Brown Sugar Buttermilk Pie)


In undergrad one of my favorite courses was Operations Research.  For me this course was an introduction to the use of optimization in complex decision-making processes.  I LOVED this course as solving the problems was always like solving a fun scheduling puzzle.

This morning while working on the week's pie I felt a bit like I was back in operations research mode.  I had certain projects I was trying to finish, I needed to run several errands, and I only had a certain amount of time to complete everything.  In the end, I won!  I solved the scheduling puzzle and was able to finish everything on my list in the allotted time.

This week's pie again came from Ashley English's book A Year of Pies: A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies.  However, this recipe was submitted by a guest author named Tom Mazurek.  There are a few notes I would like to add to the recipe.  First, I added the cinnamon to the recipe below.  Second, the pie expands tremendously.  When I first poured the filling in the crust, I was afraid that the pie wasn't going to be thick enough.  However, while the pie was baking, it expanded to 2 inches higher than the crust.  (It sank back to normal size as it cooled.)




%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Brown Sugar Buttermilk Pie
Tim Mazurek
www.lottieanddoof.com

Ingredients:

single 9-inch pie crust

3 large eggs
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. (packed) light brown sugar
2 T. flour
6 T. butter, melted and cooled
1 c. buttermilk
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
dusting of ground cinnamon

Pie Algorithm:
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.  In large bowl, whisk the 3 eggs with both sugars and the flour, making sure there are no lumps.  Add the melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt.  Whisk to combine.

2. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and dust with cinnamon.  Place in the preheated oven.  Turn the oven down to 325F and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center is still a little wobbly.  Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for at least 30 minutes before serving warm or at room temperature.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%



I debated on naming the pie 'Meh Pie' as I wasn't super impressed with the results.  It ended up with the consistency of a custard, but the filling wasn't very exciting.  Instead it was rather bland.  The edges got a bit darker than I had hoped, but I'm not really sure how to counteract this since it had risen so high.  Overall Perry has been pretty positive about the pies I've made for this project.  However, this time he commented that he wouldn't pick this pie if he had a choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment