06 October 2012

Pie #15: Truly Taupe Pie (Plum Pie)

This week I spent a chunk of my evenings painting my church lobby a color called 'truly taupe'.  No matter how many times people told me the color was a shade of brown (not purple or grey as I saw), all I could think about was making a plum pie to match the purplish color of the wall.  Thus, we have the pie of the week!

In news relating to my other year-long project (my research)...September was a rough month.  This week however, I had a major break-through.  My designs are performing well, and I'm back to cranking out results!  Needless to say, I'm very excited!  Now, back to the pie...



%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Plum Pie

Ingredients:
2 pie shells

plums (around 6 cups sliced - perhaps 12ish plums?)
1/2 + 1/8 cups sugar
1 T. lemon juice

2 1/2 T. cornstarch
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. ground cloves
1 t. cinnamon

milk
sugar in the raw

Pie Algorithm:
1. Wash, pit, and then slice the plums to about 1/2 inch thick.  Mix plum slices, 1/2 c. sugar, and lemon juice in a bowl.  Let sit to juice.

2. In a separate bowl mix 1/8 c. sugar, cornstarch, salt, cloves, and cinnamon.  After mixing well, combine dry mixture with the plums. 

3. Put plums in pie shell.  Cover with remaining shell, brush with milk, and sprinkle with sugar in the raw.

4. Bake at 425F for 25 minutes, then turn down to 350F and bake for 30 minutes more (until thick and bubbling).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Perry thought this pie was a bit tart; he's looking forward to eating the rest with ice cream!  An alternative would be to simply add more sugar to the recipe.

The pie ended up being red instead of purple as I had envisioned, but it still had a nice flavor.  I wouldn't typically think of making/eating a plum pie, but now that I've made one I think I would make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment