25 September 2012

Pie #14: Arrival Pie (Pear Pie)


I have an insatiable desire to become an expert.  I don't want to make pies that are mediocre; I want to make perfect pies - every time.  Likewise in my research life I want to learn everything about the design criterion I created (and if I'm honest I want to learn everything about all the other criteria that are remotely connected to my criterion too)!  I love the learning process that it takes to become an expert - the research put in, the progress made, and the end result.  I don't particularly love the part of the process where learning exhibits as failures, yet this is also part of the process.

In the past 3.5 months of pie baking I have had several instances where I've thought to myself, "Erin Rae, I think you've arrived - you have mastered the art of pie baking."  Typically those thoughts are quickly followed by a crust that won't roll out, a pot of butter that turns to powder, an oven bottom covered in burnt filling, or some similar tragedy.  Sadly this also happens in my research life - I get to a point where I realize how much ground I've covered in the past year, and then my code breaks or another theoretical problem rears its ugly head.

Secretly I think the process is what keeps me coming back for more.  What is the fun in arriving - once an expert, what remains?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Pear Pie

Ingredients:
1 unbaked pie shell

sliced fresh pears
1 cup sugar
4 heaping Tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon lemon juice (or a little more)
1/3 cup flour

lemon peel
cinnamon
nutmeg

Pie Algorithm:
1. Slice fresh pears into shell. 
2. Mix flour, sugar, lemon juice, and sour cream.  Pour over pears. 
3. Sprinkle with lemon peel, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. Bake 60 minutes at 375F.  Smack your lips and eat.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

My family made many pear pies with this recipe when I was growing up.  The pie is very easy to make and takes very little preparation time.  It is one of my absolute favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment