10 November 2012

Pie #20: Perry Chai Pie (Chai-Pear Pie)

Several weeks ago I promised I would write more about Perry's band.  The week has finally come.  Per has been enjoying 'noodling around' on his mandolin with his friends Steve and Phil.  They play a folky-bluegrass mix and call themselves Sour Cherry Pie.  My sister thinks its very funny to call them Sour Perry Chai; of course I had to jump on that idea for the pie project!  Kirsty leaves tomorrow for her 2 year voluntary service term in France, so we went home to have dinner with her one final time and to say, "Bon voyage!"


After looking through many pear pie, chai pie, and chai tea recipes online I finally created the recipe that follows.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Chai-Pear Pie

Ingredients:
double pie crust

3-4 pears
2 T. fresh lemon juice

1/2 c. brown sugar
2 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cinnamon (slightly heaping)
1/2 t. ground cardamom
1/4 t. cloves

milk
sugar

Pie Algorithm:
1. Peel and slice pears into large bowl.  Pour lemon juice on the pears.

2. Mix together dry ingredients in small bowl, then gently stir into pears.  When pears are covered, put into pie shell.  Cover with top crust, brush with milk, and dust with sugar.

3. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes, then turn oven down to 325F and bake for 25-35 minutes longer or until juice is thick and bubbling.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 

This sweet pie has a unique flavor; I think it tasted good, but it wouldn't be my first choice.  In my opinion, heaping the cinnamon would be a step in the right direction.  Wanda on the other hand, thinks "it was seasoned just right" (without the heaping).  Perry has volunteered to eat the remaining half of the pie.  Merci beaucoup, mon petit chou!

4 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy!!

    I have a question about oven rack placement. Do you normally bake your pies on the bottom, middle, or top of the oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ariel! I bake them in the middle of the oven, often with a pan underneath to catch anything that may drip. Not sure if this is the 'right' way to do it, but it's how I have been doing it! :)

      Delete
    2. Ok, thanks! I thought my grandmother always used to bake it in the top of the oven for the first (and hotter) part of the cooking time. However, I recently tried it and I ended up with the top edges too dark and the bottom too soft/soggy. I'm going to try it in the middle next time!

      Delete
  2. Chai in a pie sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete