24 November 2012

Pie #22: Thankful Pie (Pecan Pie)

This week Perry and I were able to head home to spend some time with our families for Thanksgiving.  Without getting too mushy I must say that I am very thankful for not only my family, but also for Perry's family.  It's always wonderful to be able to catch up with the people that are important to me - whether via skype, around the dinner table, or in the family room watching 'slides'.

Since many members of our extended families live close to each other, Perry and I often have two gatherings to attend on holidays.  This year we started with lunch at the Lantzes, followed by fellowship with the Kings.  My project seemed like a good excuse to bring pie to the gatherings, so that's what I did (along with Brussels sprouts, which were a MAJOR hit!)  I don't recall eating pecan pie before, and definitely had not made one.  However it seemed appropriate to have pecan pie at Thanksgiving dinner, so with Kathy's  help that's what I made.  We had a good time and she shared several helpful pie and general kitchen tips.  I chose to use Kathy's mom's recipe from the King Family Cookbook; this recipe is less sweet than some pecan pie recipes.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Pecan Pie

Ingredients:
single pie crust (8 inch)

3 eggs
1/2 c. white sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 c. karo (scant)
2 T. melted oleo
1/8 t. salt
1 c. pecans (slightly heaping)

Pie Algorithm:

1. Beat all but pecans in mixer.  Add pecans.

2. Bake in slow oven.  Start at 375F, then 350F for 40-50 min, or until firm.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%


The pie turned out well, but I learned I do not love pecan pie.  I didn't dislike it; I just thought it was a bit plain.  Other people seemed to like it though, and I was given quite a few compliments.  Marvin (Perry's dad) even stated that he thought the consistency of the filling was just right!  I figure with all the Kathy-made pies he's eaten over the years, he must know what he's talking about!

In addition to the pecan pie I made a second attempt at the Disaster Pie from last week - this time using fresh cranberries.  It was a success - very delicious!  I would definitely recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Although I like pecan pie, it's usually too sweet, so this sounds just right. By the way, my mom used the other GF pie crust recipe, and the Thanksgiving pies turned out great! We had apple and pumpkin. Everyone loved them, and the wavy crust even held up nicely! It tasted more like a traditional crust than the one I gave you. If you ever need to make another GF crust, you should try the recipe at: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-pie-crust-recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to try it out!

      Delete