11 August 2012

Crust #1: Bulk Pie Crust

When staring this project I decided I needed to use an easy crust recipe that wasn't too heavy.  I landed on the following recipe which is not only flaky and easy to make, I can also make it in bulk and store it for later pies.  I love the fact that I don't need to wash my pastry cutter every time I make a pie.  Also, unlike some recipes this dough is fairly forgiving, and can be handled quite a bit without much recourse.

This recipe comes from By Our Cookstove, a project of Shekinah Christian School Ladies Auxiliary in Plain City, Ohio.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Pie Crust Mix

Ingredients:
7 c. sifted flour
2 1/3 c. Crisco
1 T. salt

Sift flour and salt.  Cut in shortening until lumps are the size of small peas.  Store in covered container at room temperature.  For 1 pie crust use 1 1/4 c. mix, add 2 to 3 T. ice cold water.  Very handy.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

While not as handy, I've been known to make a small batch using 1 c. flour 1/3 c. Crisco, and a pinch of salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment