18 August 2012

Pie #8: Summer in Ohio Pie (Raspberry Sweet Corn Pie)




Summer may be my favorite season, if only for the fresh produce! I love eating Sun-warmed tomatoes straight from the garden, consuming meals consisting only of sweet corn, and popping juicy raspberries from the bush to my mouth one-by-one. I think Jeni Britton Bauer of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams got it right with her Sweet Corn and Black Raspberries Ice Cream. Inspired by this non-conventional combination, I decided to try my hand at creating a corresponding pie this week.

The recipe I started with is my great-grandma Dorothy's Ground Cherry Pie recipe, which will hopefully appear in the blog in a few weeks. Earlier this week I tried a few substitutions to this recipe, but it simply was not 'corny' enough. However trying again today I was able to get much closer to the flavor I was envisioning.

Milking the corn was a bit challenging. The steps listed below seemed to work fairly well, but I'm sure there may be a better method out there. I found that when cutting off the kernel caps, the more corn left on the cob, the better. The sliced kernel caps should be more like confetti than kernels of corn. The pictures above give an idea of how much to cut off and how much to leave on.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Raspberry Sweet Corn Pie

Ingredients:
1 uncooked pie shell (9 inches)

1 c. raspberries (approx)
4 ears of fresh sweet corn
1 c. sugar
1 T. flour
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk

Pie Algorithm:
1. Cut the caps off each kernel of corn (be careful just to take the caps, don't shave more than necessary).  Put cob in bowl and scrape your knife against it to remove the milk and the pulp from each kernel.  Mix the corn milk and pulp with the regular milk.  Heat this mixture in a small saucepan over medium heat just until you see the first boiling around the edge of the pan.  (The milk mixture will be thicker than before.)  Strain to remove pulp.  Set aside.

2. Put clean berries in bottom of pie shell.  Berries should cover entire bottom, but should be only 1 layer thick.

3. Whisk sugar, flour, and eggs in medium-sized bowl.  When mixed, add strained milk mixture.  Pour over berries in shell.

4. Bake at 400F for 10 min, then turn down heat to 350F and bake for 40 min more.  Pie should be mostly solid (but will be slightly jiggly) when done.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The hint of sweet corn mixed with the tart berries makes for a complex and delicate flavor combination.  I definitely would make the pie again.  However, I think it would be better served as a special-occasion pie rather than a kitchen-standard pie.

I realized earlier this week that the blog has been lacking in the math department recently.  Since the entirety of this post is a bit corny, I thought I'd leave you with a math-related joke:

What did the zero say to the eight?

Nice Belt!

No comments:

Post a Comment