06 April 2013

Pie #41: Lesson Pie (Salty Honey Pie)


During Grandma and Marvin's visit a few weeks back, Grandma suggested that I learn Great-Grandma Orpha's method for pie-crimping.  I found this suggestion to be timely, as Kirsty had recently sent a link with many interesting pie-crimping methods.  Being home for Easter last weekend, I took the opportunity to get a crimping lesson from Grandma.  She was a very patient teacher, but I definitely needed more practice.

Having promised two pies for a dessert reception at church this weekend, I decided to use this as an opportunity to practice my new technique.  I wasn't able to roll the edge as closely as Grandma did, but I'm pretty excited about my progress (see left)!  Experiencing such success, I decided to try one of the methods from the link Kirsty sent (right).

Now that the week's crust is completely documented, it's time to talk filling.  I made the pie for Easter, and it was so good Perry requested it for the reception this weekend!  The recipe came from a pie shop in Brooklyn: Four and Twenty Blackbirds' Salty Honey Pie.  The complex combination of salty and honey flavors complemented each other well.  Additionally, the cornmeal gave the filling a depth that is unmatched in many other pies.  This is definitely something I'll keep in my pie rotation!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Salty Honey Pie
Four & Twenty Blackbirds

Ingredients:
pre-baked 9-inch pie crust
1/2 c. butter, melted
3/4 c. white sugar
2 T. white cornmeal
1/4 t. salt
3/4 c. honey
3 eggs
1/2 c. cream
2 t. white vinegar
1 t. vanilla paste
1 or 2 T. flake sea salt for finishing

Pie Algorithm:
All of the mixing can be done by hand, or with an electric mixer.

1. Melt butter and combine with the sugar, salt and cornmeal to make a thick paste. Add the honey, vanilla and vinegar and mix together. Fold in the eggs, add the cream and blend.

2. Pour the filling into a pre-baked pie shell and bake at 350F for 45 to 60 minutes. The filling will puff up like a marshmallow and the center will be just slightly wobbly.

3. Once cooled (at least one hour), finish with a sprinkling of flake sea salt. Slice and serve with freshly whipped cream.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

No comments:

Post a Comment