13 April 2013

Pie #42: Floppy Pie (Butterscotch Pie)


Last weekend provided several opportunities for which to make pie.  When I asked Perry about making butterscotch pie for a potluck at church on Sunday, I thought he was going to have to wipe the drool from his chin!  I don't care much for butterscotch, so I figured this a potluck was as good a time as any to make a butterscotch pie!  Unfortunately I was in such a hurry to get to the potluck, I forgot to take a picture of my handiwork.  Instead, you'll have to see the results (at left) in the leftover bowl.  Yes, the bowl is missing a spoonful; I have to try at least SOME of each pie! :)




%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Butterscotch Pie
West Clinton Mennonite Cookbook
Esther Diener

Ingredients:
2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
4 T. flour
2 T. butter
1/2 t. salt
2 c. milk
2 t. vanilla
1 pre-baked pie crust
whipped topping

Pie Algorithm:
Combine sugar, eggs, flour, butter and salt; mix well.  Add milk; cook until thickened.  Add vanilla.  Pour into baked crust.  Top with whipped topping, if desired.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

As I was heating the filling, I was waiting for it to get very thick like the vanilla pudding in the banana pie or the peanut butter pie.  After much waiting and much stirring, this filling got thicker, but not quite to the extent that I was hoping.  I was afraid the sugar was going to start crystallizing, so I decided to take it off the heat.  The flavor was fine and the sugar wasn't gritty; it was just the form of the pie that was the problem.  While in the potluck line, I saw someone's slice of pie flop over on itself.  I thought this was quite fitting - Floppy Pie.  Unlike at other potlucks, I didn't hear any delightful remarks from pie testers.  However, there wasn't any pie to take home...so I guess I tricked at least 8 people into trying some!

1 comment:

  1. Butterscotch pie sounds delicious. I had a slice at Wildflower Cafe this week, and it was soooo yummy! The crust was made of pecans/butter/sugar, so it was gluten-free. It held together quite nicely, and the flavors we very complimentary. If you ever want to make another, I know someone who bakes there and could get some tips.

    ReplyDelete