25 May 2013

Pie #48: Marvin's Gardens (Rhubarb Pie)




While chopping the rhubarb for this recipe, its aroma brought my childhood flooding back to me .  Back then we ate many cakey rhubarb desserts, always with lots of vanilla ice cream.  I don't remember loving the dessert, but I do remember eating lots of it.  (What can I say, it was sweet!) :) I was afraid I wouldn't really like this pie, but this year has brought many good surprises, so of course I had to try a slice.  It was delightful!  The combinations of egg and cream allowed for a cream pie, with a slight custard consistency.   I would definitely eat it again!


We shared this pie with Grandma and Marvin, who has been out recently planting flats and flats of flowers (complete with Miracle Grow in order to avoid puny petunias!)  He complimented Bret and Wanda's newest flower garden...and thought their place was turning into Marvin's Gardens, thus the name of the pie.





%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Rhubarb Pie
Auntie Marsha Dowdy

Ingredients:
1 pie crust
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. sugar
2/3 c. cream
1 T. flour, heaping
1/2 c. water
2 c. Rubarb, cleaned and chopped into small pieces

Pie Algorithm:
1. Beat eggs, sugar, cream, and flour.  Add water and beat again.

2. Put rhubarb in unbaked pie shell and pour filling over rhubarb.

3. Bake at 325F until set.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%



No comments:

Post a Comment