11 May 2013

Pie #46: Few Words Pie (Peanut Pie)

This week contained of a lot of statistical writing for me; writing about non-active inputs, writing about posterior distributions of calibration inputs, and writing about BLUP predictors for meniscal stresses seen during walking.  While I'm happy to have added to my thesis and additional papers, all this writing has left me with few words for the blog.  Therefore, without further ado, I present this week's pie.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

photo credit: Lane Allen Stopher
Peanut Pie
United States of Pie
Adrienne Kane

Ingredients:
a single 9-inch pie crust
3 large eggs
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1 c. dark corn syrup
4 T. unsalted butter, melted
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. vanilla extract
1 c. coarsely chopped, lightly salted peanuts

Pie Algorithm:
1. Preheat oven to 375F.

2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the eggs until they're frothy, about 2 minutes.  Add the brown sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, salt, and vanilla, and beat on medium speed for another 2 minutes or so, until thoroughly blended.  Fold in the peanuts.

3. Pour the filling in the chilled shell.  Bake the pie for 45-50 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and the center is almost set.  Remove the pie from the oven, and let it cool to room temperature before enjoying.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I enjoyed this twist on pecan pie.  The dark brown sugar and corn syrup were a nice touch, and the peanuts added a good flavor.  One tester that thought the pie was a bit salty (I used full-salt nuts).  I didn't mind the salt at all, and rather enjoyed the salty sweet combination!   I'll have to keep this in mind for future consumption!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious. I'm nuts for peanuts...

    ReplyDelete