02 March 2013

Pie #35: Mischief Pie (Shoo-Fly Pie)

Sorry for the short blogging hiatus - thesis writing and job securing has consumed my life.  Of course I couldn't ignore the project completely; last week's pie was made, licked, and liked.  More on that to follow...

Until last week, I had never eaten a piece of Shoo-Fy Pie.  I was turned off by the idea of the molasses.  But, I figured that if I was going to be true to my Pennsylvania Dutch heritage, I should set aside a week for this pie in my project.  That week finally came.  We went home for another reason, but since my father-in-law Marvin loves this pie, I knew that this was my chance!

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of the pie (especially after I nearly gagged spooning the molasses out of the jar!)  The flavor wasn't overwhelming, and I enjoyed seeing the cake part sitting on top of the gooey part!


It ended up that my nephews spent the evening with us at Marv and Kathy's, so like me, they also got their first taste of this pie.  Actually, the smallest nephew got his first and second tastes of this pie.  After everyone ate their piece, we went back to playing games only to find 'Little Guy' wandering out of the kitchen with a cumb-filled tongue sticking out of his mouth.  Yep folks, the pie was so good that he decided he just wanted another taste and licked the top of the pie. :)  I guess the joke's on him because it isn't the crumbs on top that make the pie taste so delicious!

Unfortunately, the pie mischief didn't end there.  After a mishap with Kathy's camera, I realized I wasn't going to have a picture of the completed pie for the blog.  So, I took the pie to my parents' house to snap a picture with the intent of returning the half of the pie that remained.  I awoke the next morning to find that pie thieves run rampant in NW Ohio!  This time an entire piece was taken instead of just a lick!  Upon confronting the thief I made sure to point out that he had probably eaten a 'licked' slice. :)

The rest of the pie was delivered safely back to the Pettisville/Tedrow area for Marvin to enjoy.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Shoo-Fly Pie
Kathy Leatherman

Ingredients:
1 9-inch pie crust
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. flour
1 T. margarine
1 egg
2 T. molasses + enough Karo to make 1 cup (total) of sticky sweetener
1 c. hot water (not boiling, but hotter than tap)
1 t. soda

Pie Algorithm:
1. Mix brown sugar, flour, and margarine into crumbs.  (Kathy suggests using your fingers.)  Reserve 1/2 cup.

2. Beat the egg, molasses/Karo and 3/4 cup of hot water, then mix with the crumbs from step one.

3. Mix 1/4 cup hot water and 1 t. soda.  Add to the rest of the filling, then pour the filling in the unbaked crust.  Top with the 1/2 cup of reserved crumbs.

4. Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes.  Pie is ready to be removed when the center has risen and is rounded above the rest of the pie.


%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

No comments:

Post a Comment