09 March 2013

Pie #37: Craft Pie (Apple Praline Pie)

I am not crafty.  I've tried my hand at crafts many times, but always end the session feeling frustrated at my own project, jealous of the other people creating cool projects near me, and disappointed in my lack of crafting talent.  No matter how many times I've tried, I'm never satisfied.  It's gotten to a point that I just generally don't participate in crafting activities.  (If I can't do something well, then I don't want to do it at all!)

Today I went to Crafting Day at my friend Miranda's house.  Per usual, everyone else was making very beautiful and creative projects.  This time, I was also doing something I loved!  I received a 'Craft-Pass', and was invited to bring my pie supplies.

The recipe for the week came from Simply in Season, one of my favorite cookbooks.  Everyone at Crafting Day was very complimentary of the pie, but it isn't my favorite.  The praline flavor was good, I just don't really like apple pie.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Apple Praline Pie
Simply in Season, by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert

Ingredients:
9-inch unbaked pastry shell
3 cups apples (peeled and sliced)
1/3 cup sugar
2 T. flour
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
3 T. honey
2 T. butter
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans

Pie Algorithm:
1. Combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl, tossing to coat apples.

2. Place apples in pastry shell and bake in preheated oven at 400F for 15 minutes.

3. Combine brown sugar, milk, honey, and butter in saucepan and bring to a boil.  Boil 1 minute.  Remove from heat.

4. Add nuts to praline topping.  Remove pie from oven and pour honey-nut mixture over top.  Continue baking at 350F for 30 minutes.


%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

No comments:

Post a Comment