23 March 2013

Pie #39: 88 County Pie (Brown Sugar Cream Pie)

The recipe for this week's pie belonged to Perry's great-grandma Katie King.  The story goes that Perry's grandpa Lawrence and his brothers used to tell their mom "That's the best pie in 88 counties!"  With a review like that, I knew I HAD to try it!


This pie seems especially appropriate because I have recently committed to a job in West Virginia for the fall.  The decision to move away is bittersweet; I'm very happy about my new position, but am equally as sad to leave Ohio and our friends and family.

Speaking of family, we had 4 guests from NW Ohio this week.  Marvin, Grandma, Gavin, and Al all had reason to come to Columbus, and made some time to visit us!  Of course I provided each a slice of pie; it was a hit all around!  (Sadly the picture of Grandma and Marvin didn't turn out...but I think Gavin's smile and empty plate is telling.)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

88 County Pie
Judy (King) Selzer in memory of Willard and Katie King
West Clinton Mennonite Church cookbook

Ingredients:
2/3 c. white sugar
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 c. light cream
1/2 t. vanilla
9-inch unbaked pastry shell
nutmeg

Pie Algorithm:
1. Combine sugars, flour and salt.  Add cream and vanilla.  Pour into pie shell.  Sprinkle a little nutmeg on top.

2. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes, then reduce to 325F for 40 minutes. 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%



As mentioned several weeks ago, I love sugar cream pie.  Because of the brown sugar, the flavor of this week's pie is slightly different from the sugar cream pies I have eaten in the past.  I must say, Lawrence and his brothers were right - this IS one of the best pies I've ever eaten!  I'll have to share it with our new friends in WV!

2 comments:

  1. Erin, Sorry to tell you that Gavin always has a smile on his face..................and an empty plate in front of him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I am sure the pie is good!

    ReplyDelete