02 March 2013

Pie #36: Delight Pie (Cream Cheese Pie)

Recently Perry and I did a survey of the pies we have consumed over the past 9 months.  We ranked each pie using a likert scale with values:
  • 3 = "I would request this pie to be made."
  • 2 = "I would eat this pie if it was around."
  • 1 = "I would not eat this pie again."

It was interesting to see the similarities and differences in the ratings Perry and I gave to the pies.  Out of the 34 pies in the survey, only three received top honors from both Perry and I: Pie #4: Blueberry Lattice Pie, Pie #13: Salty Caramel Apple Pie, and Pie #30: Peanut Butter Pie.

Only two pies received reviews that were on the opposite ends of the spectrum (a '3' from one of us and a '1' from the other).  Perry loved Pie # 3: Butter Brickle Banana Cream Pie while I loved Pie #25: Grapefruit Pie.

One pie received a '1' from both of us: Pie #20: Chai-Pear Pie. (It looks like time has skewed our memory; looking back we both seemed to like the pie at the time!)

To me, the most interesting part of this little survey was how the likert scale was interpreted.  Overall Perry had 26 pies that he rated as a '2', while I only had 13 pies rated with a number '2'.  (We both had the same number of '1' ratings.)  Generally speaking I would say that Perry loves pie more than I do, however when rating the pies he gave fewer top marks.  I'm not sure what all of this means, but I definitely find it interesting!

This week's pie would receive a '3' from me.  My friend Kathy brought this delicious pie to the Piecemaker fundraiser a few weeks back, and I had to have the recipe for my project!  The pie reminds me of the Cherry Delight dessert Wandi would often make when I was kid.  I really like the raspberry substitute for cherry, and think that making a fresh fruit compote during the summer months would be simply wonderful.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Cream Cheese Pie
Kathy Bauman
(serves 8)

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/3 c. butter or margarine
2 T. powdered sugar

Filling:
8 oz cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar
8 oz cool whip

1 can fruit pie filling (Cherry or blueberry was suggested, but I love raspberry!)

Pie Algorithm:
1. Crust: Mix together and press into a 9-inch pie pan.

2. Filling: Whip cream cheese, add powdered sugar and mix together, then add cool whip.

3. Put cream filling into cracker crust and top with pie filling.  Let cool in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

4 comments:

  1. What, no mention of the "Lemon Pie?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this is another case of time warping my opinion? I really think that if I had another try with this pie it could be tasty. :) Any volunteers to be a tester?

      Delete
  2. I just came across your blog. I am actually doing the same thing with the same book. It has been fun so far except for the apple beet pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Anna! Are you using Ashley English's book? I'm thinking she had a recipe for a beautiful apple beet pie, but I didn't try it (and have since returned the book to the library).

      Delete